If this is this first time you have had to meet with a criminal defense attorney, you may not know what to expect. We recommend getting the most out of your first meeting and avoiding any delays in getting started on your case by arriving well-prepared.
You should take any and all paperwork related to your case, as well as a list of everything you want to ask and anything you should discuss with your attorney. Your criminal defense attorney is on your side. Be prepared to be forthcoming, and don’t be afraid to ask difficult questions.
Take everything you have related to your case. This may include:
- Police report
- Bail/bond paperwork
- Protective order and/or no contact order
- Any other orders related to your case
- Any documents showing your next court date
- Any other paperwork related to your case, such as documents showing any classes you have taken if your case is already in progress
If you are still selecting a criminal defense attorney, you should be asking questions, such as:
- How long have you been a criminal defense attorney?
- How often do you handle cases dealing with the types of charges I am facing?
- What is your success rate?
- Will you be handling my case personally?
- When I have questions, will I be able to contact you directly?
- How long does it normally take you to reply?
- What do you charge? What is included? When do you expect payment?
- What is the time-line you expect for my case?
- What is the next step?
- What do you need me to do next?
If you are facing criminal charges, you need the help of an experienced criminal defense attorney right away. In Fort Smith, call Milligan Law Offices at 479-783-2213 or email us today to schedule your initial consultation.